created 2014

created 2014

Friday 12 November 2010

book blogger hop




Book Blogger Hop


"If you find a book that looks interesting but is part of a series, do you always start with the first title?"


Hi welcome to this weeks book blogger hop and the question is above
 
I hate it when i've read a book and find out that it is part of a series and I've not read them in order. I feel as if I've missed something, because there always something in the book that relates to the previous one. I have to go on a mission to find the first book of the series and any following ones, then I start all over again.
 
I did this with the Harry Potter series. My daughter lent me a book, I think it was the third in the series and I was hooked. So I had to start  reading them from the begining, I enjoyed the book more the second time around, after getting to know the characters from day one.
 

R J ELLORY   A QUIET BELIEF IN ANGELS
This is another one of my favorite reads (i.ve tried to post a picture but failed)
Here is a review of the book, I came across these other two books by ELLORY and they are on my tbr pile
I hope they are as good as ANGELS
CITY OF LIES
CANDLE MOTH


This is not a book about a mass murderer and his motive, this is a story about the effect the murders have on a small town in southern USA. Joseph is the central character and you become part of him and are taken through every emotion of his life. This is from childhood through to his 40's. His life is quite tragic but he soldiers on and never gives up. I love the life described in small town USA, you really feel like you are there with him, the hot sun beating down, the simple folk that live there and when he goes to New York, the difference in life are well described. You get to know all his friends and really feel part of him. Well written, It'll take me a little while before I can get this out my head and start another book.

4 comments:

  1. Oh I know what you mean. I can think of two books off the top of my head that I bought or got from the library, not realizing they were a part of a series. Fortunately, I was able to sort of understand what was happening. And like your experience with Harry Potter, after reading the series in order and rereading the book, I appreciated the story and characters a lot more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not too bothered about reading a series in order though it is often quite beneficial to do so and I do try. However, best laid plans and all that, I recently found myself reading parts 3 and then 1 of a series without any ill effects. Some other books however I think have to be read in sequence if we are to make any sense of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopping through. I'm a new follower. Just so you know, the link to your blog through the Hop is broken - it's missing the "m" in "com."
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto on reading books from a series in order! I'm a little obsessive about that because it's just more effective that way.

    ReplyDelete

please leave a message and i will visit your blog to say thankyou
thankyou lol
all messages gratefully received

Cuteki kawaii